PMMA-Based Waterproofing Coating
PMMA-Based Waterproofing Coating is a solvent-free, rapid-curing and highly flexible liquid applied membrane system. It delivers durable, long-term waterproofing and corrosion protection and is hard dry in just 60 minutes * (see Key Technical Data).
This 2-component, fast reactive system consists of high-grade PMMA-based (polymethyl methacrylate) waterproofing resins. The liquid application allows complete encapsulation of the surface it’s applied to and it cures to form a fully bonded waterproofing coating. It allows seamless waterproofing to large areas and easily incorporates complicated details and penetrations.
The liquid coating system is applied together with a tough fleece reinforcement to increase membrane strength and deliver highly durable emergency surface repair and long life cycle waterproofing. The technology’s high flexibility is retained, even at low temperatures, ensuring good crack-bridging properties. PMMA-Based Waterproofing Coating is resistant to ponding water, UV resistant and can be applied to almost all substrates, including variable substrates.
PMMA-Based Waterproofing Coating key benefits:
- Fast cure properties ensure the surface will be quickly watertight and Hard Dry after just 60 minutes* (see Key Technical Data for full curing times, temperatures and PMMA Catalyst dosages)
- Suitable for use on flat and pitched roof systems, and as a waterproofing roof membrane
- Liquid application allows easy, effective waterproofing of large and small surface areas with the most complicated details and penetrations securely incorporated
- Seamless application fills in any cracks, gaps and voids as the system adheres to the substrate for a fully bonded waterproof coating
- A highly elastic technology that retains its flexibility and good crack bridging property even at sub-zero temperatures
- Can be applied to almost all substrates, including variable substrates (when combined with appropriate primers)
- Permanently weather-resistant (UV-, hydrolysis- and alkali-resistant)
- Fleece reinforcement delivers increased membrane strength, life expectancy and resistance to cracking
- Excellent resistance to ponding water
- Fast overcoating is possible – if coatings such as PMMA-Based Top Coat / Sealer Coat are also to be incorporated
- Cures rapidly – even in low temperatures
- Solvent-free. PMMA technology ensures lower health and safety risks
- Safe, easy and quick to apply
- Can be applied in temperatures as low as 0°C up to 30°C. And for substrate temperatures of -10°C, please refer to PMMA Additive LT Technical Data Sheet
- Good Chemical resistance
- Theoretical coverage of 1.3kg/m² per mm thickness
- Packaged in 10kg container
PMMA-Based Waterproofing Coating application areas include:
- Flat and pitched roof areas
- Metal clad profile roofing areas
- Gutter waterproofing
- Balcony waterproofing
- Deck and flooring waterproofing
- Glass/Glazing waterproofing
- Car parking
- Vents and pipes
- Rainwater outlets
- Parapet walls
- HVAC and ducting
- Many existing substrates
Advantages of PMMA Waterproofing
- Fast and easy application
- Can be applied in various weather conditions
- Can also be applied at low temperatures and in high humidity
- Impervious to liquids but permeable to water vapour
- Excellent bond to hardened concrete and steel
- Contains no solvents
What Is PMMA?
PMMA is a two-part methyl methacrylate-based acrylic resin, which cures very rapidly once the catalyst is added shortly before the application. Hence, both the installer and the end customer benefit from labour time which is reduced to a minimum.
Just 60 minutes from application sees the surface hardy dry. It’s quickly waterproof and shortly afterwards foot traffic is permitted.
PMMA liquid applied waterproofing is a liquid applied, flame-free system consisting of one coat of primer (if required), PMMA resin coating and reinforcement made of polyester fleece fabric.
Why Use PMMA-Based Waterproofing
Liquid applied, high solids, low odour waterproofing systems are safe, easy to apply and cure rapidly. These systems form a breathable, waterproof barrier while ensuring minimal downtime and a quick return to service.
Liquid waterproofing can encapsulate an entire roof seamlessly – including any plant and protrusions, saving valuable time and giving an extra level of water tightness.
There is no need to remove serviceable existing membranes before applying. You can also look forward to excellent resistance to ponded water- often the most likely culprit when it comes to dealing with leaks.
PMMA’s advantages are particularly appreciated by roofers and installers on jobs with difficult access, roofs with multiple penetrations, when flame-free application is required and short curing time is essential. PMMA liquid roofing solutions are also a perfect choice for areas requiring resistance to certain substances that may negatively affect traditional roofing products: vegetable oils, environmental contaminations, foot traffic, UV impact.
PMMA resin can produce a wide range of hardnesses and flexibility and offers fantastic levelling properties. Offering the ultimate protection against chemical, mechanical and slip resistance, PMMA-based systems are the ideal solutions for internal or external use.
PMMA Waterproofing Applications
PMMA waterproofing coating provides a uniform seamless membrane and can be applied in cooler seasons. The coating will adhere to many common construction materials and almost any properly prepared substrate – steel, concrete, old bitumen roofing, etc. It will provide a perfectly seamless, durable and resistant waterproofing membrane even on complex and difficult roofs.
PMMA acrylic resin is formulated to meet the demands of specific flame-free applications. Not only is it an ideal solution for roof surfaces of all shapes, it is also particularly useful for flashing and details, such as skylights, fans, balconies, railing supports, terraces or roofs with many penetrations. Due to its resistance against root penetration characteristics, it can be successfully used for the sealing of green roofs.
For all your PMMA-based waterproofing needs, get in touch with Cactus Industrial today.